Saturday, April 22, 2006

60th da shou

My father in law celebrated his 60th birthday this month. To some elders, they believe that they should hold a "banquet" or sort to mark this day and that it has to be on an auspicious day, so that they would continue to live long. Upon consultation from the chinese almanac, we have set the date and I was given the task to choose a venue for dinner. *sweat*

With the consent from the shou xing gong, I proceeded to book 2 tables at LiBai, where we originally wanted to hold our wedding at. Very good and innovative menu they have there, not to mentioned about their service and delicious food! We were given a tao fang - Emerald Room and with 2 to 4 "designated" waiteress and 1 captian to see to our needs. Each dish was formally introduced. Because their set menu is at such that 8-10 pax per table costs differently, they automatically adjusted the menu so that we pay only 9 pax table (x2) cost although they have prepared for 10 pax (x2) since I confirmed the seating as 10pax
(x2). They also waived the cockage for us (without me requesting) for the wine we brought there... and without me telling them, they offered the shou tao (Longvity Buns) on the house. Although I tried to be cheapo and ask for further discount but they said set dinner is discounted prices liao (as usual lah)... I didnt persue further also.

The menu...


The roast pig was very very crispy and there were little fats on it.... It was very popular even the pig's head was eaten by some uncle relative...

Then came the shou tao, its the first time (maybe I sua-ku) to eat such nice shou tao. The skin was not very thick (some felt as if u are eating jus flour), the inside was lotus paste and salted egg yolk! I haven eaten lotus paste with salted egg yolk before, it's like moon cake.. hahaha Zen baby loves them.....

Next is the sharkfin, each of us had a serving and it was not from a big bowl and scoop it from there. Look at the fin, we had one each on our bowl. There was any crabmeat, only chicken, bacon and fin.....Yum yum, thumbs up for this!! One of the old uncles still ask where's the fin, hello, this one doesnt come in strips..


The following dishes are even better. This one is obviously scallop and the fried fried thing beside it is actually yu jiao (deep fried yam) u always eat during tim sum, but this one is different wor! It has duck meat in it.... So special right...

Oh dear, the fish! Haha, its a simple and normal way of cooking this fish as u would expect from other restuarants. But its so nice that everyone put their chopsticks on it before I could take a picture.. and this is what is left.... Stilll got somemore leh!!




Big fat juicy tiger prawns!




This dish is quite common lah, the elders like the sea cucumber because it is tender enough for their dentures. The veg is kinda of hard thou.

The desert is very unique and delicious too! It's fragrance pear boiled with white fungus and lotus seed. Never eaten it before..heard from the waiteress that it is very zi run yang yen, I ate my hubby's share! Hahahaha

We had a nice dinner and a hefty bill too. $2K+ for this very nice dinner.. I would say its worth the money, but we cant have it often, the next time we visit this place is probably when someone strikes 4d!

2 Comments:

Blogger SunR@y said...

wow.. the shou tao looks yummy.. too nice to eat.. kekke...

10:27 PM  
Blogger The store keeper said...

Yah yah, i dint know a simple dish could be so yummy.. hehe...

1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home